We were asked for our opinion on the Lakeland Community College proposed levy. For an entity that is supposed operate in the best interests of the community, they have not impressed us with their decision making, nor are the trustees being good stewards of the taxpayers’ money.
- Our analysis of their financial statements says that they have $65 million in unfunded pension liabilities. They are “upside down” on their balance sheet – meaning they do not have enough assets to pay all of their liabilities.
- They have received almost a 100% increase in property taxes from 2008 – 2018. The now extract $20 million from the Lake County taxpayers, up from $10 million in 2008.
- They have experienced “mission creep”, and are far more than what their original intent as a low cost community college.
- They have doubled their cost of the early college program for 7-12 graders. Our local school districts must pay for this inflated costs.
- They offer lower tuition rates for illegals than American citizens.
- They are not looking out for the best interests of seniors in Lake County.
- They are protecting their jobs and their pensions, and they are a bastion of liberalism.