[LFC Comment: This is a public service announcement from our fearless Lake County Health Commissioner.]
I have received calls from the public concerned about non-covid deaths being labeled as covid deaths.
Ron H. Graham MPH Health Commissioner
Lake County General Health District
5966 Heisley Road
Mentor OH, 44060
[LFC Comments: The following is an email received from the Ohio Department of Health explaining the change in determining who is listed as dying from Covid-19.]
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2021 1:55 PM
Subject: Change in death reporting for COVID-19 dashboards
Dear Local Partners—
Beginning this afternoon, the Ohio Department of Health will start using death certificate data from the Electronic Death Registration System (EDRS) for deaths reported on the state’s COVID-19 dashboards. In the past, ODH has reported Ohio Disease Reporting System (ODRS) mortality data daily, and reconciled that information with verified death certificate data from EDRS. Today, EDRS data will become the sole source of that information.
Here are some changes you will notice:
- The data will be more accurate. Deaths will no longer be listed as confirmed and probable – as all deaths will have been verified with death certificate data. Instead, they will be listed as “Deaths in State of Ohio” (meaning this figure could include non-Ohio residents) and “Ohio Resident Deaths.”
- Mortality data will no longer be reported daily. EDRS data is often received twice per week. On dates that data is not reported, deaths will remain static. The day of week we receive the mortality information may vary. So, for the foreseeable future, this information will not be updated on specific days of the week.
- Mortality data may lag – often 1-2 months, but up to 6 months.
- Because state mortality data will come from EDRS, if your local websites list ODRS data, it will likely not match what is being reported on the state COVID-19 dashboard.
- Case and other data will continue to be reported through ODRS on its current schedule.
Kristen Dickerson, BID Bureau Chief
Office of Performance and Innovation
Local Support Services
Ohio Department of Health
246 North High Street
Columbus, Ohio 43215