Can a property tax levy be reversed?

Thanks to Concord Bob for this information.  He took the time to determine if a property tax levy can be reversed by the voters.

From Concord Bob:

“I don’t believe I shared information I acquired from a lawyer in Columbus. He is with the State board of elections. Phone #’s: 614-466-8124 or 614-466-5744.

My question was, is there a process to reverse or reduce a continuing tax levy that was passed by voters. My interest was peaked by the passage of the Riverside School district levy.

He referred me to the Ohio Revised code, 5705.261 and sec. 5705.19.    [LFC Comment: Does not apply to school levies]

[LFC Comment: Excerpt of 5705.261 as it pertains to public schools:
“In the case of a levy for the current expenses of a qualifying school district and of partnering community schools imposed under section 5705.192, division (B) of section 5705.21, division (C) of section 5705.212, or division (J) of section 5705.218 of the Revised Code for a continuing period of time, the rate allocated to the school district and to partnering community schools shall each be decreased by a number of mills per dollar that is proportionate to the decrease in the rate of the levy in proportion to the rate at which the levy was imposed before the decrease.]

The main requirement to put an issue on the ballot, to reverse or reduce, is to have a petition signed by voters, a number of voters that represents at least 10% of the number of voters, who voted on the issue.

Might want to file this for future reference.”

Categories: Lake, Uncategorized

9 replies

  1. 282226 463574An intriguing discussion will probably be worth comment. I believe which you basically write significantly much more about this subject, it might become a taboo subject but typically consumers are inadequate to communicate in on such topics. To an additional. Cheers 165621

  2. After study a few of the blog posts on your website now, and I truly like your way of blogging. I bookmarked it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back soon. Pls check out my web site as well and let me know what you think.

  3. Wow! This could be one particular of the most useful blogs We’ve ever arrive across on this subject. Basically Excellent. I’m also an expert in this topic therefore I can understand your effort.

  4. 137707 550679This kind of lovely blog youve, glad I identified it!?? 119021

  5. Once I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new feedback are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get 4 emails with the identical comment. Is there any approach you possibly can remove me from that service? Thanks!

  6. 137938 38003This style is incredible! You definitely know how to keep a reader amused. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own weblog (well, almostHaHa!) Amazing job. I genuinely loved what you had to say, and far more than that, how you presented it. Too cool! 296981

  7. 582552 121363There is noticeably a bundle to realize about this. I assume you produced various good points in functions also. 632519

  8. BEWARE:
    All governments, city/county/state/federal, will ask you to vote to give them the money they want (to waste) all in the mis-leading name of taking care of the citizens, poverty, homeless, to GET VOTES. But, if you don’t give it to them via a vote, they will find another way to get the money they want, like taxes, and they will never give up, nor give it back.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: