(LFC Comment: We are happy to provide a forum for Willoughby -Eastlake residents to express their views on the property tax levy.)
Written by a very unhappy Willoughby resident:
A survey is being passed via Facebook indicating it is from the W-E schools. It looks like this is the PAC for the school. The one the teachers give money to so they can fight us on the levy. They just want you to help give them ideas on how to turn a NO into a YES. Don’t give them the satisfaction and info. Let them research social media for options that have been out there since JULY when they tried to sneak it through in silence spending over $65,000.
They want you to do the work for them and all info in one nice need package for them to fight us. Don’t give them FREE market research so they can raise your taxes and laugh at you as you lose your homes because they want to drain us dry.
Thompson, for the 6th day in a row, is spending his time being interviewed every day. He is using the media to SHAME THE HOMEOWNERS into giving him the money. He said on Ch 5 last night “2012 was the last time voters approved money.”
I’m sorry…..did he forget about the $115 MILLION he was given in 2015 for the new building BY THE TAXPAYER’S? Did he forget about all the renewals on current levies? We do have to vote which APPROVES THE TAX TO CONTINUE FOR MORE MONEY FOR MORE YEARS. THOMPSON: “The life line of the community is on the line here” WOW…..if the 6, yes 6 new schools, YMCA & Senior Ctr Village can’t keep the community alive, why should we throw another $8 MILLION to rescue it if $115 MILLION didn’t?
They said “75% of home owners don’t have school age kids and he has a blunt message for them”. THOMPSON: “Somebody paid for you when you were part of that 25%, now we are asking you to do your civic duty and pay for them. We can’t do it on our own.”
Thompson’s Advice to Seniors
Well, let’s see………
- We had more students and operated on way less money per student. Thompson admitted at the Willowick meeting that we have way less students then in the past. Less students yet more staff at high salaries in each school.
- Home values back then were peanuts so taxes were less. Houses worth double and triple today, so he gets more money than we did for less students.
- Thomson acts like we are giving them no money. Did they forget about all the current levies in place? Like new roofs on schools that we are still paying for in our taxes, and are now in landfills.
- Did they forget about the $115,000,000 Bond LEVY? BIG CLUE…….IT IS COLLECTED FROM THE HOME OWNER and goes to that Village he built for 35 years. He strapped your children, grandchildren and great grandchildren with that debt and wants you to strap them for life.
- Does he not see we gave them SIX (6) BRAND SPANKING NEW SCHOOLS (North, South, Grant, Longfellow, School of Innovation and Tech Center) WITH ALL NEW FURNITURE INCLUDING COMFY COUCHES, CHAIRS, LOUNGE AREAS, FULL WALL OF WINDOW, all brand new equipment, desks, chairs, computers, wall art. football fields, 5 basketball courts, etc. Are they not sufficient enough for the W-E staff to fulfill their civic duty to teach as they are paid to do? They cried for and got………it all and MORE.
- See attached official W-E forecasts for Jan and May 2019. The proof is in the numbers. Even with this levy the $9 MILLION added to the teachers contract will keep them in the red and they will be crying again in 2 yrs.
Jan 2019 W-E Forecast May 2019 W-E Forecast
- The city of Willoughby purchased the Old Tech center in downtown Willoughby for $1 and when sold the school was to get the money. SOLD per County records and the value indicated is $1.5 MILLION DOLLARS. WHERE IS THE MONEY…….SHOW US WHERE THE MONEY IS AND HOW MUCH MONEY THE SCHOOL ACTUALLY RECEIVED.
- Spending over $9 MILLLION for the “Big White Elephant” on RT 91????? They claim they used insurance….that does not mean spend every dime when they know they are in the red….. Insurance money could have gone for the HUGE SHORTFALL THEY ARE SCREAMING, CRYING AND WHINING ABOUT. ……. BROWNING IS EMPTY WHY DID HE NOT MOVE THE BOE THERE? He knew it was going to be empty when the old BOE mysteriously burned down after being told he could not have a new building for the BOE. Instead of the senior center, why did the BOE not take the space at the new South High? He could have been near those precious children all day to monitor their progress instead of removing himself from them. Or does he only want them around when they serve a purpose for him, like standing along the road with signs for News Stations pushing his agenda?
- Telling citizens that if they can’t afford $16/mo that they can’t afford to live in their home so, in so many words he’s saying……THEY ARE OLD AND DYING…. WHO CARES IF THEY GET KICKED OUT. Is he forgetting the THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS PER YEAR…. PER TAXPAYER HE IS COLLECTING ALREADY FROM THOSE ELDERLY PEOPLE HE WANTS TO KICK OUT OF THEIR HOMES.
- We don’t want Thompson as our superintendent and neither does any other school system across the US as of yet. What does that say? We don’t want him, but we are stuck with him because no other district wants to go through the same !!!!
END THE MONEY BLEEDING NIGHTMARE!!!! We were FOOLED…….and have AWAKENED. DON’T BE FOOLED ANYMORE BY THE SNAKE OIL SALESMAN. Please feel free to add your own to the list…… This is the first time a W-E levy has ever failed. The W-E Schools have been given what they want… when they wanted and now are throwing a tantrum because they were told NO for the first time after getting millions upon millions from us annually. Tell Mr Thompson that you have done your civic duty, and now he must do HIS CIVIC DUTY by using what he has been generously given…….over and over.