Written by Brian Massie…conservative hiker
While participating in our weekly hikes with our group I dubbed ‘Rachael’s Rangers’, the majestic beauty of the Lake County Metroparks never ceases to amaze me. Today’s ambitious hike through the Indian Point trail in Leroy Township was really special. I enjoy reading historical markers….does that make me old??
This historical marker says that there is evidence that the area contains the remains of a prehistoric native American earthen enclosure. The walls were built around 150 B.C.! It appears that people have been protecting their territory since the beginning of time. Unfortunately, far too many of our current politicians do not believe in protecting their citizens. They only protect their jobs and pensions. The current Open Border policy of both parties will destroy our nation.
The site was then occupied again around 1500 A.D. by the Whittlesey People. So who are they, one may ask?
From the historical marker, it looks like they were hunters / fishermen / gatherers, but for some reason they disappeared around 1650 A.D.
One has to wonder why? Here are some possible, but highly improbable reasons:
(1) Christopher Columbus arrived around 1492, can we blame their disappearance on Chris? Nah….don’t blame Chris..
(2) Could they have succumbed to a virus brought in by other settlers?…A definite maybe..mask were not available back then, and Dr. Fauci would not appear on the scene for several centuries..
(3) What about climate change?…Huh?, that deception does not make sense now , or back then.
(4) They saw a chance to build a big gaming casino? Nope…a little too early, that revenge on the white man comes a little later.
(4) Maybe they just picked up stakes and ventured West…That gets my vote…They were just ahead of their time. It was not until 1865 that Horace Greeley offered this sage advice to people on the East Coast:
“Washington is not a place to live in. The rents are high, the food is bad, the dust is disgusting and the morals are deplorable. Go West, young man, go West and grow up with the country.” — attributed to Horace Greeley, New-York Daily Tribune, July 13, 1865
When you analyze Greeley’s 1865 quote, the same could be written today about Washington, D.C. – not a place to live in, rents are high, and the morals are deplorable. Wonder what Horace would say about the current deep state in Washington? He would be running for the hills!
Here is a link to the Ohio History site that provides additional, really well verified information…
We highly suggest that you avail yourselves of the beauty displayed in our Metroparks. The park officials have done a wonderful job with the trails. We will have to take the time to analyze what all this beauty is costing the taxpayers. We will try to determine if additional property taxes are on their agenda. Stay tuned.